We hope you’ve had a lovely weekend #athome surrounded by your loved ones, and practising English! 😀
Firstly, we would like to thank all of our readers for making us such a popular option for students to find information and activities. We are simply, and truly, honored. Continue reading “Sing & Learn and other activities”
We’re closer and closer to getting back to normal, you can practically feel it in the air! Continue reading “Preliminary (B1)”
Hello everyone and welcome to our writing special! Continue reading “Write & Improve”
First of all, we’d like to thank you for the extra popularity this blog is experiencing. Last Saturday was the best day of the week with an increase of 1475% in visits! You’ve made us all proud. Thank you so very much! 😀
Today we welcome a new week #athome full of hope that we’ll be able to see each other soon. 🙂 Continue reading “Exam classes”
How’s April treating you? As our third week of lock down comes to an end, we want to take a moment to thank all of you who are #athome so that we can go back to normal as soon as possible. Make no mistake, you too are heroes! Continue reading “Activities for all levels!”
We’ve got a lot of news today! Continue reading “Merry Christmas!!!”
Hello everybody and happy December!
It’s that time of the year again, and I don’t mean Christmas! Continue reading “It’s exam time!”
I hope you’ve had a great summer break! We surely have and we’re back stronger than ever and with plenty of news Continue reading “Happy October!”
Hello everybody and welcome to May!!!!
Today we’re going to talk about the basics of reported speech Continue reading “That’s what she said….”
Today we’re going to talk about ‘false friends’, words in English that, given their similarity with Spanish ones, are often confusing for students. Let’s start with, probably, the most common false friend:
Sensitive vs Sensible
When students want to say ‘Sara es muy sensible’ they often write ‘Sara is very sensible’. However, it should be written ‘Sara is very sensitive’ as ‘sensible’ in English means sensata/o.
Now, take a look at the following list of words in Spanish, how would you say them in English?
- Asistir (a un evento)
- Estar constipado
- Carrera (universitaria)
The correct answers are:
- To have a cold
Notice the difference between the correct word and the false friend:
- Disappointment vs Deception (engaño)
- Pregnant vs Embarrased (avergonzada/o)
- Currently vs Actually (en realidad)
- Attend vs Assist (Ayudar)
- To have a cold vs To be constipated (Estar estreñido)
- Bookshop vs Library (Biblioteca)
- Folder vs Carpet (Alfombra/moqueta)
- Degree vs Career (Carrera/trayectoria profesional)
- Long vs Large (Grande)
- Friendly vs Sympathetic (compasivo)
- Terrifying vs Terrific (genial, fantástico)
- Factory vs Fabric (tela/tejido)
Now that you know the difference, fill in the gaps with the correct word:
- Jamie is ___________ studying a __________ in Biology.
- It is a ____________ way from Coruña to Barcelona.
- I’m going to the _____________ to study because it is quieter than in my house.
- Sara is a very __________ person, everyone likes her.
- Insidious is a ____________ movie, I was really scared when I watched it
- Please, don’t forget to take your __________ at the end of the class.
- Are you going to ___________ the meeting?
- Silk is said to be the softest ___________
- Losing the game was a huge _______________
- I am going to stay at home today as I have a terrible __________
How did it go? Scroll down to check your answers at the end of the post!
Remember that you can also follow us on:
Facebook (Euroschool of English Coruña and The Red Lobster)
Twitter (Euroschool of English Coruña)
G+ (Euroschool of English Coruña)
and our website! (www.euroschoolofenglish.com)
Have a great January everyone!
- Jamie is CURRENTLY studying a DEGREE in Biology.
- It is a LONG way from Coruña to Barcelona.
- I’m going to the LIBRARY to study because it is quieter than in my house.
- Sara is a very FRIENDLY person, everyone likes her.
- Insidious is a TERRIFYING movie, I was really scared when I watched it
- Please, don’t forget to take your FOLDER(S) at the end of the class.
- Are you going to ATTEND the meeting?
- Silk is said to be the softest FABRIC
- Losing the game was a huge DISAPPOINTMENT
- I am going to stay at home today as I have a terrible COLD